Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Hoppin' John

There are several versions of Hoppin’ John. The base for the traditional meal is, peas, pork, rice, and I believe some type of tomato and peppers (I‘m sure many people have many different ideas) Some people serve it on New Years to promote good luck and prosperity but it was first introduced as one of the few meals that would keep African Slaves alive during the long and deadly passage over the seas to America and other ports that were known for dealing in human flesh. I try and fix it on New Years myself but I also enjoy it anytime of the year. This is just one of the versions that I like the best. Peace and Good Eating.

4 - 14.5 oz cans of Black Eyed Peas
1 - lbs Bacon, diced
2 - cups prepared Rice
1 - med Onion, diced
1 - 10 oz can Rotel Diced Tomatoes w/ Green Chilies
1 - Tbs Parsley Flakes
Salt & Pepper

Brown bacon in a 5 Quart pan (Dutch Oven) when almost done add the onion, when onion is just getting translucent, remove from heat and carefully drain off some, but not all of the fat (bacon fat is 100% flavor) place back over heat and add all of the black eyed peas, rice, and Rotel (you could substitute the Rotel for plain diced tomatoes and dice up your own jalapeños) simmer over low heat for 35 to 45 minutes, add parsley at the end, taste and salt and pepper accordingly. Again goes well with corn bread.

9 Comments:

Blogger Babsbitchin said...

Oh yea, that's some good eatin' there. Gonna have to try this.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

That does sound good but, even better, is that skewered chicken revolving at speed.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Babsbitchin said...

Nomad, that bitch does look yummy, huh?

6:56 PM  
Blogger Babsbitchin said...

Nomad, BTW, thanks for your support. Do you have any easy recipes you'd like to share?

6:57 PM  
Blogger Spidey said...

I have never heard of Hoppin' John before. I think I will give it a try and let ya know how it turned out.
Thanks for triggering my late night muchie attack, Babs!!
FFFSSSS!!!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Babsbitchin said...

spidey, chuck did it.But I do tend to want good shit late at night. No, I'm not settling for a bag of M & M's. I want something that's gonna cause a coronary confunction with butter so my clogged arteries will be smooth. Well, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it,hah! Good to hear from you! Send in a recipe, ok?

7:43 AM  
Blogger Chef Babs said...

I loved black eyed peas and rice, so I'd probably love this!

6:50 AM  
Blogger Spidey said...

Gotcha.
I made a really good quiche yesterday--even took picures of it. So I will be sending it in to ya soon.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Babsbitchin said...

spidey, we need some Quiche, bring it on, yea!!!

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home