Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Thursday, November 23, 2006

CINNAMON RAISIN BREAD PUDDING

I'm serving bread pudding for dessert today with a Hard Sauce or Bourbon Sauce as it's sometimes known. Instead of plain bread, I'm using Thomas's Cinnamon Raisin Bread. This is a basic recipe. I vary quite a bit depending. Today I used sweetened condensed milk, fruit cocktail. 3 beaten eggs, cinnamon, 1/2 stick of softened butter and just mixed it. I'm going to bake it and make the hard sauce.
The hard sauce is fairly simple. You beat confectioner's sugar with Jack Daniel's and butter till it's liquid but thick enough, not too thick to drizzle on top of the pudding.

Original recipe yield: 1 - 8 inch square pan
PREP TIME 30 Min
COOK TIME 45 Min
READY IN 1 Hr 15 Min

SERVINGS About scaling and conversions

INGREDIENTS

  • 3 slices day-old bread
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Break bread into small pieces into an 8 inch square baking pan. Drizzle melted butter or margarine over bread. If desired, sprinkle with raisins.
  3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Pour over bread, and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped.

Here's another variation that's interesting;

Bill Nicholson's Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding with Butter Rum Sauce
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Show: Paula's Home Cooking
Episode: Southern BBQ Two
Bill Nicholson's Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding with Butter Rum Sauce

2 dozen Krispy Kreme donuts
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
2 (4.5-ounce) cans fruit cocktail (undrained)
2 eggs, beaten
1 (9-ounce) box raisins
1 pinch salt
1 or 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Butter Rum Sauce, recipe follows
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cube donuts into a large bowl. Pour other ingredients on top of donuts and let soak for a few minutes. Mix all ingredients together until donuts have soaked up the liquid as much as possible.

Bake for about 1 hour until center has jelled. Top with Butter Rum Sauce.

Butter Rum Sauce:
1 stick butter
1 pound box confectioners' sugar
Rum, to taste

Melt butter and slowly stir in confectioners' sugar. Add rum and heat until bubbly. Pour over each serving of Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding.


5 Comments:

Blogger Sassy Sundry said...

Oh God. That sounds amazing. Yummy.

I can't think about donuts right now, but when I do, I'm going to make that.

Butter and donuts. And more sugar.

I think I might die if I eat it, but yummy.

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Chef Babs said...

Sassy, I can't wait to make this Krispy Kreme thingy. I have always loved those donuts anyway but you throw it into a concoction like that and you might have a chunk a heaven!!

6:34 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Mmm... Donut Pudding, why don't you just put the sugar straight into an IV Drip and let me main-line it, might as well call it "Coma Pudding!"

12:39 AM  
Blogger Babsbitchin said...

chuck, sorry sweets, I was not being very considerate when I posted this, was I? Forgive me?

2:30 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

babs - you're forgiven, you know you could prepare some of these and overnight them to me, i wouldn't mind a bit. (haha)

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home