Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Thursday, April 12, 2007

~AZCG's Green Bean Casserole ~

I am pleased as punch to get this recipe on Real Food for Real People. AZCG is an old friend. She doesn't have a blog of her own but she's always in the Blogosphere and has been for, a long time. "AZCG" stands for Arizona Country Girl, as she hails from Arizona. But you'd never know or ever think she was any simple country girl. She's got poise and grace but her wit is as sharp as a tack. I call her my friend and hope you'll enjoy this recipe. Now, I don't know about you but after 48 years of eating peoples plain ol' green bean casserole, all the time, this is a much needed, much welcome variation. You go girl!

My first recipe for Real Food For Real People. Thanks.


AZCG's Green Bean Casserole

Ingredients:

1 lb. bacon
1 lb. sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese

4 cans green beans
3 cans cream of mushroom soup

Directions:

Cut up bacon and fry (I like my cooked but not too crisp) Grate cheese
Open and drain green beans (MUST BE DRAINED!)
Open mushroom soup

You can cook this in a casserole or a slow cooker. I use a slow cooker for pot lucks because it is more convenient and I bake it in a casserole dish for dinners at home.

Now layer ingredients in the crockpot or casserole dish (1 can mushroom soup, then 1 and 1/3 can drained green beans, grated cheese, and bacon bits) you should have three layers and I always end with cheese and bacon on top (it's prettier than soup or beans on top). Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or if you use a slow cooker it will take about 3 1/2 hours on high to heat completely. Stir before serving.

I purchase my ingredients on sale and use coupons so the entire dish cost me $5.24. If you love mushrooms you can buy fresh and slice or chop them and add them as you do your layers. I also suggest that you buy quality cheese because some cheap cheeses don't melt very well. One more suggestion is that I always take an extra can of green beans and add it to the heated pot if more guests show up than you expected.

Thanks, AZCG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home