Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Friday, September 07, 2007

Fry Bread


This is a simple fry bread recipe from an unknown Cherokee man from Northeast Oklahoma. It was his Grandmother’s recipe. Fry bread was said to have originated on reservations when the US Government would only provide wheat flour and lard at times to sustain the Indians. Fry Bread is made a thousand different ways, this is the way I make it.
You Will Need:
2 cups flour
2/3 to 3/4 cups milk
2 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp of Salt
You will also need enough cooking oil of your choosing to fry it in (vegetable oil, peanut oil, or shortening) I prefer Crisco shortening and an iron skillet.

Mix ingredients to form a ball of dough. Tear off chunks and roll out on a floured surface to your preferred thickness. Make small slits in center of dough patties. Deep fry until golden brown on both sides. It should be lightly crispy on the outside and chewey in the middle. When I make this I double the recipe and get about twelve pieces about the size of a slice of sandwich bread. You can eat it plain, or w/ honey on it, w/ beans or chili. I like it as an Indian Taco covered with a mild chili w/ lettuce, diced tomatoes, and cheddar cheese. It's best fresh and tends to get a little tough when it's a day old, but you can always pop it in the microwave for a few seconds and soften it back up. Thanks and good eating.
From Chuck

1 Comments:

Blogger ~Babzbitchin~ said...

I've not had fry bread for 20 years. I think I'm due, huh?

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home